Southeast Texas Thanksgiving Traditions
Our 5 Favorite Dishes
What does your family really want this Thanksgiving?
Here are our five favorite dishes.
- Pepperidge Farms Stuffing cooked in the turkey. Texans have long argued about whether tohttps://www.oceanspray.com/Products/Sauce/Jellied-Cranberry-Sauce serve “dressing” or “stuffing”. In East Texas, dressing is super popular. Stuffing is the best, and it’s not particularly close. I like mine with lots of fresh onion and garlic.
- Chocolate pie. Pumpkin pie is pleasant enough as a holiday tradition, but it isn’t particularly great as a dessert. Chocolate pie though… now that is delicious.
- Homemade yeast rolls. There is nothing worse on a major holiday than store bought bread. Don’t put your family through that.
- If you teach your kids one thing, it should be how to make gravy. Nothing does more for dry turkey or dressing.
- Cranberry sauce from the can. I know how it sounds, and you’re right. Homemade cranberry sauce should taste better. However, the holidays are about recreating what you ate around the Thanksgiving table as a kid. For most of us, that means canned cranberry sauce, making it the “official” cranberry sauce of East Texas. Ocean Spray is the dominant brand.
These are the dishes we want, but you don’t have to do everything yourself. One of the most important things we can do is pick loved ones to share recipes with. Then, they help lighten our work load.
We hope today’s article helps you get ready for Thanksgiving.
- Daryl Fant, Publisher. SETXSeniors.com and Southeast Texas Senior Resource Guide
- (512) 567-8068